What does the preschool program offer?
* a play-based, child-directed program, where learning and fun meet, based on the ongoing needs and interests of the children
* we promote the four foundations of learning (well-being, belonging, expression and engagement) through our daily interactions, planned and spontaneous activities and in partnership with families
* an inclusive program where we recognize that each child is unique, thus we adapt the way we teach for each child, based on their skill level, comprehension and ability, to allow for success
* a team of dedicated, passionate and reflective full-time RECEs, with experience in working with and supporting children with special needs
* weekly curriculum that is based on observations to promote, encourage, support and challenge young minds
* opportunities for children to practice and develop independence and self-help skills, as well as self-regulation, to allow children to be autonomous and develop their problem solving skills
* opportunities to develop and strengthen their prosocial skills, such as conflict resolution, co-operation, helping and empathy, through small group activities and planned activities
* we promote language and literacy through our twice daily circles, through songs, stories and finger plays, twice weekly book days, occasional visits to the library and planned group times
* opportunities for children to take part in dramatic play, as they re-enact and make sense of the world around them and practice the concept of representation
* daily art and sensory activities to allow children to use their creativity and senses to explore and learn
* daily science activities to promote problem solving, critical thinking and to introduce new concepts
* daily planned activities to include numeracy and simple math concepts
* daily outdoor/gross motor activities to promote physical health and well being
* special circles/activities throughout the year to learn about various holidays and cultural celebrations around the world, as reflected by the families in our program
* special programming in the summer which includes field trips to local areas of interest, guest speakers, a magic show, Mystic Drumz and more
Our weekly curriculum includes:
* Weekend Report: children verbally share their weekend experiences in small group settings, thereby improving their expressive language while speaking in front of peers
* Music class: a 30 minute class weekly, taught by a certified Royal Conservatory of Music teacher
* Science/cooking activities: to encourage children to observe, question, reflect, problem solve and communicate their experiences and findings
* Letterland: a system to teach young children the alphabet phonetically, through fun stories and songs about individual characters, to promote letter recognition
* Show and Tell: children bring in an object weekly related to Letterland and get the chance to share and talk about it with their peers, thereby promoting descriptive language
* All About Me: children are invited to bring in a photo collage sharing aspects of their family and interests, which the child presents during circle time, thereby creating a sense of belonging and allowing each child to demonstrate their individuality
Children who are provided with a carefully planned process of early childhood education gain significantly in competence, coping skills, socialization, and a positive attitude towards learning. At Hester How ELC, the preschoolers are provided with rich opportunities to gain the necessary skills to discover a love of learning and to achieve daily growth.
The preschool program is designed to meet all of your child’s developmental needs, while encouraging your child’s growth towards greater independence. A low educator to child ratio of 1:8 means that your child’s educator is in an excellent position to offer individual care and support.
As in the infant and toddler programs, the preschool educators continue to provide you with written documentation about your child’s development. They are available to touch base with you verbally on a daily basis. In partnership with you, your child’s educators will work towards creating a plan to ensure your child’s success in the program.We know that children who are provided with a carefully planned process of early childhood education gain significantly in competence, coping skills, socialization, and a positive attitude towards learning. At Hester How, our preschoolers are provided with a rich opportunity to gain the necessary skills to discover a love of learning and to achieve daily growth.
2 1/2 years to 4 years
24 children and 3 educators